Hooray the rug rats are back to school!

Hansens Accountants – Monday, January 30, 2012
After weeks of school holidays the kids are finally back to school. Here’s how we can reduce the burden of sending the kids back to school by maximizing your education tax refund.

You can claim the education tax refund if you had eligible education expenses during the financial year for a child enrolled in a primary or secondary course provided at a school or TAFE (secondary school student only) and you received Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A.

However before you claim the ETR you must have first lodged a claim for FTB Part A for the child with the Family Assistance Office and had that claim approved. If you lodge an end of year claim for FTB Part A, the Family Assistance Office can only approve the claim after you lodge your tax return.

So what are eligible expenses?

Eligible expenses include the cost of buying, establishing, repairing and maintaining any of the following items:
• home computers and laptops
• computer-related equipment such as printers, USB flash drives, and disability aids to assist in the use of computer equipment for students with special needs
• computer repairs
• home internet connections
• computer software for educational use
• school textbooks and other printed learning material, associated learning materials, study guides and stationery, and
• prescribed trade tools for secondary school trade courses.

School approved uniforms purchased from 1 July 2011 (including hats, footwear and sports uniforms) approved by the school as its uniform can be claimed for the 2011/12 tax year.

Expenses which can’t be claimed are:
• school fees
• student attendance at school-based extra curricular activities such as excursions and camps
• tutoring costs
• sporting equipment
• musical instruments
• school subject levies – for example, payment for consumables for particular subjects such as woodwork, art or home science
• building levies
• library book fees
• school photos
• donations
• tuck shop expenses
• waiting list fees
• transport
• membership fees, and
• computer games and consoles.

For any assistance in claiming the education tax refund, please give us a call.

Vince Facciolo, Business Services


Want to grow your business? Our Free Resources will Help